Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Healthy Juices

Let's talk beverages... a new article on aol.com talks about ranking fruit juices and other beverages... really focusing on which ones are healthiest based on the disease-fighting antioxidant properties. Here's the list:

Pomegranate juice
Red wine
Concord grape juice
Blueberry juice
Black cherry juice
Açaí juice
Cranberry juice
Orange juice
Tea
Apple juice

I don't know about you... but these new studies are always so fascinating to me. The last time I actually thought about healthy fruit juices... I thought about cranberry juice. But you can see, based on this latest survey... my thinking is quite outdated. Maybe it's because I'm not a big juice drinker. I pretty much stick to water... and look to green tea for my antioxidants.

The biggest reason is the amount of sugar I find in most juices... even if it's natural sugar... some juices just seem to be another version of empty calories. We talked about that several months ago in our Sugary Truth segment. Check out what the aol.com article says about it.

"The truth is, you consume a lot of calories with juice. No-sugar-added doesn't necessarily mean no sugar at all. And sugar, even though it's naturally-occurring sugar, can really pack on the pounds if you consume too much."

So here's my question... do I need to drink a few ounces of these juices for the antioxidant benefits? What's an alternative? Just a little juice for thought.

Your thoughts?

Barbara


Here's the link to the full article.

1 comment:

Jus Antioxidant said...

Hi Barbara, I too am interested in studies done on juice and its many benefits. I would love for you to check out my blog on Jus- a new antioxidant supplement. It has many of the ingredients you listed above, and I am currently doing a study on each ingredient to see what its real value is. Please keep checking back, it will only get more interesting from here! Thanks for your insight on the juice world.