Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Barbara's Buddies

I don't know about you guys and ladies... but I'm tired of being border line physically... and I'm not just talking about my weight, but my overall physical appearance and health.

I've mentioned over the years to some of my friends that I've wanted to lose weight and get in shape... and some of them look at me and say, "Barbara... you have got to be kidding... I'm the one who needs to lose weight...." I always reply, "weight loss is relative," because it is.

If you're not comfortable at your current weight and health level... then you're not comfortable. Barring extreme situations like anorexia, I think most folks will support anyone wanting to do a little better. There was a time when I got in great shape and bought practically a whole new wardrobe. Now I can't even fit half of those suits... so I have some amazing outfits that are just hanging in my closet. THAT IS TORTURE!

Along with those 'want to fit again' items is a little black dress... one I want to wear over the Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday season. So I figure if I start changing my lifestyle now... instead of waiting until the end of the year to do a crash diet... I'll get where I want to be by the end of the year in a healthy way.

Are you ready?

I hope so because I'm looking for five buddies to join me... so we can do it together.

I mean, let's keep it real. Doing better is always a good thing. And making a commitment to lose weight and GET IN HEART HEALTH SHAPE is hard to do alone. So let's team up... buddy style. We'll do everything from evaluating and adjusting our foods, staying up on our personal health, and knowing some of the things that might be working against us (i.e. diabetes, high cholesterol), to trying new exercises.

Please blog me your thoughts... and as we progress we'll outline the details about how to join our Buddy list!

Target start time: the end of August.

Barbara Pinson

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sounds like a great idea. cant wait for you to start it up

Barbara Pinson said...

Hey Anonymous... thanks for the blog. We'll outline the details next week. I'm very excited about this!

Barbara

Anonymous said...

when does this start?

Anonymous said...

I would enjoy having buddies to help me and even have buddies by regions (Hickory, Lincolnton, Newton, etc.) so we could actually meet and get together. I want to participate in a way that would not require me to appear on TV with pictures, and identity. I want to do it just to get healthy and to have someone inspire me. I need someone to "push" me so I can stay motivated. I am in my 50's and have tried everything. Have lost weight in the past but haven't kept it off. I have arthritic knees and joints and feel terrible most of the time. I need to get healthy so I can enjoy life!!!
Thank you, Barbara, Great idea!!!

Unknown said...

Barbara,

I am the laziest person ever when it comes to exercising. Fortunately prior to last year I had high metabolism and minimal weight gain. In the last year I've gained 12lbs. I really need a buddy to help motivate me and keep me motivated, which I will reciprocate. I too have a strong family history of hypertension and diabetes. As my weight continues to grow my self esteem and confidence has plummeted. All my weight has gone to my stomach and waist area which increases my risk for heart disease. Let's help make permanent lifestyle changes together..

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara...I could stand to lose a lot of weight...I am extremely overweight due to limited mobility because of fibromyalgia and several other health issues...I try to watch what I eat but I do not do very well on my own...I lost a lot of weight on a well known weight loss program but once I quit it the weight just piled back on...I would love to be motivated...because anything I lose is better than nothing at all!!!

The Producer said...

Judy, Anonymous, Yolanda, and Catawba Mom...

We'd love to hear more from you and hear more about your stories.

If you could shoot us a quick e-mail at barbarasbuddies@wbtv.com we'd love to add you to the list of possible buddies. Even if you don't want to be on tv, we're going to try and include the people who aren't picked as one of the buddies, so we can ALL get healthy!!!

Can't wait to hear from you.

Barbara Pinson said...

Hi Judy.

We plan to start mid to late August.

Barbara Pinson

Barbara Pinson said...

Hellow Anonymous from July 14th.

No problem that you don't want to be one of our featured on-air buddies. But how about joining our online buddy group? If you don't mind sharing your email address... we can keep you in the loop and keep you motivated... while you can also motivate us. We're acutally hoping to have quite an extensive online group!

As for the knees... we'll try to find some low impact choices to help us all get and stay in shape.

Barbara Pinson

Barbara Pinson said...

Hello Yolanda.

Thanks for the blog... and I agree... let's make PERMANENT changes together.

Are you interested in being one of our buddies featured on T.V. during the Morning Show?

If not... We'll be sending out group motivational emails once this gets going. If you'd like to share you email address... we can make you part of our online buddy network.

Barbara Pinson said...

Hi Catawbamom07,

Thanks for the blog and the interest in our buddy system.

Just wondering what level you'd like to participate. Are you interested in being one of our buddies featured on T.V. during the morning show? Or are you more interested in the online version of our buddy system?

We're collecting a list of those who want to be on air... and we'll determine the 5 buddies in the next few weeks.

Plese let me know your thoughts.